KwaZulu- Natal is a multicultural province of destination flanked by Indian Ocean backed by a spine like mountains “the barrier of spears” (Izintaba zokhahlamba) Drakensberg mountains. It is magnetic to people from all corners of the globe because of its diversity.
Historically Mahatma Gandhi who is popularly known by his “Passive resistance” reaction was in this province. Battlefields of yesteryear, today are tourists places of choice – Isandlwana, Encome, KwaDukuza to count but a few. Pulsating the mixture of East, West and Zulu’s. Boasting replica rolex submariner watches of two seaports, an international airport and home to different sporting codes like rugby, soccer, cricket and golf.
We are a unique Nursing Union which also preaches the professionalism aspect to its members. We have eight (8) regions in our province as per union demarcation. Each region has its own structure. Each region is represented in the PEC by the regional chairperson.
The Provincial Office is in the city centre of Durban, 460 Smith Street, Durdoc Centre building, 13th floor, Room 1320. The office is manned by one(1) Provincial Secretary, two (2) organizers, one (1) Administrator and one (1) Receptionist. The staff is committed to serve members and non-members effectively and efficiently through quality customer centred services. The above –mentioned objectives are achieved through unity, caring and sharing of information for our members satisfaction. We are guided by our Union slogan “United We Care and Share”.
KwaZulu- Natal has eleven (11) Health districts with different hospitals namely:
Amajuba - 3 Hospitals
Ugu - 6 Hospitals
Uthungulu - 8 Hospitals
EThekwini - 15 Hospitals
Umgungundlovu - 9 Hospitals
Uthukela - 3 Hospitals
Ilembe - 4 Hospitals
Umkhanyakude - 5 Hospitals
Zululand - 7 Hospitals
Sisonke - 6 Hospitals
Umzinyathi - 4 Hospitals
- Seventeen (17) Community Health Centres
- Twelve(12) Nursing Colleges and fourteen (14) sub campuses
- Private hospitals are managed by different company groups:
- Netcare, Life-care, Afrox and Medi-Clinic
The Nurse population from above districts and hospitals is 30 981.
By virtue of being a Union which is affiliated to the federation COSATU, this assists us in terms of political awareness. Tri-partite alliance is understood to be the cornerstone of our political growth. Some of our members are actively involved at COSATU local structures.
Development / achievements
- As a Union in terms of poverty alleviation we fully support breitling heritage chrono replica watches the programme of “one house one vegetable garden” initiated and sold to us by Premier His Excellence, Honourable Dr. Zweli Mkhize.
- As a province we view the hosting of ICN Congress, an international event first of its kind in the continent successfully as an achievements.
- Stanger Hospital is one of the sites that were visited during the ICN congress. As a result of this visit the hospital has received funding from donors in France for its Employee Assistance Programme (EAP).
- DENOSA KZN is a unique Union of Nurses and has Health expertise. This was underlined during the COSATU task allocation session where DENOSA was allocated DENOSA to man the“First Aid Corner” which our members managed efficiently during the COSATU congress.
- The KwaZulu Natal province has been highly affected by: TB/MDR.
- DENOSA takes pride in offering workshops in par with current RX and infection control measures with the rest of the country.
- We promote Nursing by visiting high schools to educate and inform learners about Nursing.
082 821 1465