Friday, 20 September 2019
‘WE ARE STUDENTS, NOT CRIME STATISTICS AND OUR CAMPUSES ARE NOT CRIME SCENES!’
The Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa (DENOSA) Student Movement in KwaZulu-Natal extends its heartfelt sympathies to all the victims of the barbarity of rape and violence at institutions of higher learning, as well as to their families and friends and all students who have been afflicted and affected by this scourge.
As the DENOSA student Movement, we ask ourselves: when will the mourning end? It is University of Zululand today, UKZN last week, and UCT the week before. When will it end? With the atrocities occurring in campuses nationwide, fear and frustration have erupted in students everywhere. As the KZN DENOSA Student Movement, we are taking a stand and saying enough is enough!
Safety and security, both physical and psychological, is a basic human need. Student safety and security should no longer be an uncertainty at our universities and colleges. It is time we go back to basics whereby all stakeholders should take steps, big and small, to ensure that these heinous crimes happening to students cease immediately:
• Campus management needs to beef up security throughout campuses and residential areas.
• Residential areas should also be safe and entry of visitors should be tightly controlled.
• Awareness campaigns targeting the roots of these problems should be started.
• Support systems for victims and even would-be offenders must be initiated.
• Buddy-systems must be established.
• We also need to remind students that they are also responsible for their own safety. We are pleading with fellow students to be extra careful for their own safety at all times.
The KZN DENOSA student Movement condemns rape, violence and crime especially directed towards students. It starts with each student and each campus to make changes for the better. As students, we say: ‘We are students, not crime statistics and our campuses are not crime scenes!’
Issued by DENOSA KZN Student Movement
For more information, contact:
Sphumelele Blose, DENOSA KZN Student Movement Secretary
Mobile: 071 642 9094
Mandla Shabangu, DENOSA KZN Provincial Secretary
Mobile: 071 643 3369